La Tomatina Spanish Tomato Festival at Buņol
Practical Joke Turned All-Out Spanish Tomato War!
Get set for La Tomatina 2011, on Wednesday 31st August 2011
La Tomatina a couple of years ago had more than 40,000 unrelenting participants, 150,000 tomatoes; and an hour of exhilarating entertainment! That is the meaning of this once-a-year popular Spainsh tomato festival, held at the Plaza del Pueblo, in the tiny Spanish town of Buñol, just 15 minutes by train from Valencia in Spain.
It’s name – La Tomatina. How it began – no-one really knows, yet its origins lie somewhere between a ‘practical joke’ of throwing tomatoes to silence a singing townsman, to a riot that broke out over a disagreement between some youths and members of a parade in 1945. The battle was broken up by police, but the following year on the same date, the men came prepared with their own tomatoes. The date then became known as the day of the Tomatina and has been celebrated ever since. It’s held on the last Wednesday of August every year, at eleven o’clock in the morning – being 25th August for 2010.
To participate in such an event you will need to arrive equipped with a swimsuit and goggles. Furthermore, there are certain ‘rules’ that must be abided by, namely:
• Bottles of any kind are prohibited – there has never been an accident and the organisers prefer to keep it that way!
• T-shirts are to remain fully in-tact –this is an event for young an old alike, so keep it ‘G – rated’!
• Tomatoes must be crushed before being thrown – the aim is to stain, not injure your opponent!
• Two rockets mark the start and finish of the festival, when the second one goes off, not a tomato is to be thrown – so get in early!
• Throw as many tomatoes as possible – make sure to give as good as you get!
For a food fight of a different kind or for further information about the La Tomatina Spanish Tomato Festival and Buñol.
(images above sourced from Google Image - if you're the owner then we would like to credit you, please let us know - great photos!)
For more information go to la tomatina
|Date||August 25, 2010|
|Location Name||Bunol - Valencia|
Author: Mike Owen
Created: 2005-05-19 11:18:10 | Updated: 2011-03-29 18:20:22
We welcome comments from registered users on this subject. If you are not already registered then you can do so by clicking